You are at the right place, and Here you will find information about Vj Day facts, What Day Does Vj Occur? and Vj Day is Observed on September 2.
A Bit About Vj Day
Victory over Japan Day is the day on which Imperial Japan surrendered in World War II, in effect bringing the war to an end.
Vj Day Quick Facts
|Dates:||August 15, 1945 – September 2, 1945|
|President:||President Harry S. Truman|
|Also called:||V-J Day, Victory in the Pacific Day, V-P Day|
|Related to:||Victory on Europe Day|
What Day Does Vj Occur?
On September 2, 1945, the USS Missouri in Tokyo Bay hosted the signing of the formal surrender papers, which became known as Victory over Japan Day (V-J Day).
- Even though the triumph over Japan was happy, the day was bittersweet, given how terrible the war was. VJ Day honored the end of WWII in 1945.
- On August 15, 1945, US President Harry S. Truman named the day Victory over Japan Day in the White House.
- President Truman stated that Japan had decided to surrender unconditionally per the Potsdam Declaration.
- President Truman told audiences outside the White House, “This is the day we've waited since Pearl Harbor.”
- In the UK, USA, and Australia, a two-day holiday was to honor the war's end.
- British PM Clement Atlee announced at midnight, “The last of our enemy is down.”
- The PM thanked Britain's allies in Australia, New Zealand, India, Burma, Japan-occupied countries, and the USSR.
- Without the US's Herculean efforts, the war in the East would have lasted much longer.
- The next night, King George VI aired from his Buckingham Palace study.
- “Both of our hearts are bursting. No one who has experienced this horrible conflict doesn't realize we'll feel its consequences long after today's celebrations.
- People swarmed the streets of every town and city, shouting, singing, dancing, and lighting bonfires and fireworks.
- In his first radio broadcast, Emperor Hirohito blamed “a new and merciless bomb” for Japan's capitulation.
- “If we continue to fight, it will lead to the downfall and obliteration of Japan and human civilization.”
- The Emperor didn't disclose that the Allies gave Japan a surrender request on July 28, 1945.
- As a result, the US launched two atomic bombs on Hiroshima on August 6 and Nagasaki on August 9, and the day Soviet forces invaded Manchuria.
- The Allies declared victory over Japan on August 15, 1945, but General Koiso Kuniaki did not surrender until September 2.
- VJ Day is both days. If VJ Day marked the end of World War II, what of the six years of brutal conflict?
- In our World War II timelines, we show the important events of each year, from the German invasion of Poland in 1939 through the Dunkirk evacuation in 1940 and the attack on Pearl Harbor in 1941.
Allied landings followed Montgomery's success at El Alamein in 1942, Salerno in 1943, D-Day in 1944, and in the early months of 1945, crossing the Rhine and going to Berlin and Okinawa.
Why Vj Day is Observed on September 2?
National V-J Day (Victory over Japan Day), celebrated on September 2, honors the Allies' defeat of Japan in World War II.
On August 15, 1945, the announcement of Japan's capitulation to the Allies was made.