Untold Malice at The Palace: A Documentary on Unusual Fight

Do you know what happened in 2004? I am sorry, this is a very vague question to ask, right? Here I am talking about the braw that happened between the Pacers–Pistons, if you don't know about this incident, then you have a documentary to watch, named “Untold Malice at the Palace”. 

So let's get down to work and read all about it, because I am sure it is going to be an amazing documentary just like “Val, “Homeroom“, and “In The Same Breath“. 


What is the Documentary About?

The brawl, its repercussions, and its enduring effect are discussed by key characters from an infamous 2004 incident involving players and spectators at an NBA game in Michigan.

The Pacers–Pistons incident (dubbed “The Malice at the Palace”) happened on November 19, 2004, during a National Basketball Association (NBA) game between the Indiana Pacers and the reigning champion Detroit Pistons at The Palace (since destroyed) in Auburn Hills, Michigan. It was dubbed “the most notorious brawl in NBA history” by the Associated Press.

With 45.9 seconds left in the game and the Pacers leading 97–82, Pistons centre Ben Wallace tried a layup but was fouled from behind by Pacers small forward Ron Artest. 

Wallace became enraged and shoved Artest, resulting in a brawl on the court between players from both sides. A supporter in the stands tossed a drink at Artest as he was resting on the scorer's table to calm himself down after the brawl was broken up.

Artest went for a fan right away, igniting a big melee involving players and fans that lasted several minutes and spread from the stands down to the court. The game was then called off by the referees without the remaining time being played.

What Happened Afterwards?

The altercation, according to some NBA players and coaches, was the worst they had ever witnessed. Chris Chelios, a hockey player who was at the game with Kid Rock, characterised the brawl as “unbelievable.” [8] Pacers supporters started calling the squad “The Thugs.”

Pistons CEO Tom Wilson later stated that Artest's action removed physical barriers between fans and players, such as tables and benches, and Indianapolis Star reporter Mark Montieth stated, “In a way, [Artest] passively provoked [the upcoming assault] by lying down,” despite Ron Artest lying down being something he did frequently to calm down.

The Pistons supporters were blamed for a large amount of the media criticism, and 46 per cent of voters in an ESPN SportsNation survey thought the fans were to fault for the event. Other critics attributed the responsibility to Artest and the other players involved.

Did They Fight Again?

The Pacers and Pistons met for the first time since the altercation on December 25 at Indianapolis' Conseco Fieldhouse. The Pistons won without incident, 98–93. Due to their bans, neither Artest nor Jackson participated; O'Neal played in his first game back after the arbitrator lowered his suspension to 15 games.

The Pacers returned to The Palace for the first time since the riot on March 25, 2005. After a series of bomb threats were made against the Pacers locker room, the game was delayed for 90 minutes, but it ultimately began after no explosives were discovered.

Because Artest was still suspended and O'Neal had a damaged shoulder, two major figures from the original incident were unable to play. With a 94–81 victory, the Pacers ended the Pistons' 12-game winning run.

In the Eastern Conference playoffs, Detroit was seeded second, while Indiana was seeded sixth. The Pistons and Pacers played in the second round after the Pistons defeated the Philadelphia 76ers in five games, and the Pacers stunned the third-seeded Boston Celtics in seven games.

untold malice at the palace

Wrapping Up

I know this incident has been shocking and it has been one in a while incident. So what are you waiting for, you can watch it on Netflix. If you don't have the subscription then now is the time to purchase it. And for more great information don't forget to read more series and movies on our website.