Shaquille O'Neal, also known as “Shaq,” used to play professional basketball and is now a sports analyst. Shaq played for six teams throughout his 19-year career and is now considered one of the best NBA players. O'Neal has also released four rap albums and has been in many movies and TV shows.
Shaquille O'Neal: Early Life
Shaquille O'Neal was born in Newark, NJ, on March 6, 1972. His birth father was a drug addict who went to jail when Shaquille O'Neal was a baby for having drugs. They never dated, and his father gave up his rights as a parent to O'Neal's stepfather.
Because it was a safe place, O'Neal liked going to Newark's Boys and Girls Club. He didn't play on a team, but he did shoot hoops there. But his stepfather was in the military, and soon after that, the family moved to bases in Germany and Texas.
In high school, O'Neil was the leader of a team that went 68-1 over two years and won the state title in his senior year. After high school, he joined the team at Louisiana State University. He was named twice as an All-American and double as the SEC Player of the Year, among other honors.
Shaquille O'Neal: Career
The Orlando Magic picked Shaquille O'Neal with the first pick in the NBA draught in 1992. O'Neal made history quickly when he became the first player in NBA history to be named Player of the Week in his first week. Before he moved to Orlando, he worked with Magic Johnson.
He played for the Magic until the end of the 1995 season. After that, he was free and could play for any team next season. In 1996, he was chosen for the US basketball team that won the gold medal at the Olympics.
O'Neil kept getting better, and he led his team to more championships. After the Olympics, he signed a seven-year deal with the LA Lakers. During his career, O'Neal was hurt often, but the one that pulled him the most was degenerative arthritis in his toe.
In his last few seasons, O'Neal played for different teams each year. In 2002, he had surgery, so he missed the first 12 games of the 2002-2003 season. In 2003, the Lakers got the fifth seed and didn't make it to the finals.
View this post on Instagram
From 2004 to 2008, he played for the Miami Heat, where he had more career highs and got hurt a few more times. In 2008, he spent one season with the Phoenix Suns. He played for the Cleveland Cavaliers in 2009-2010 and the Boston Celtics in 2010-2011, where he retired.
What is the Net Worth of Shaquille O'Neal?
Shaquille O'Neal, also known as “Shaq,” used to play professional basketball and is now a sports analyst. Shaquille O'Neal has a net worth of about $400 million as of 2022. This makes him one of the wealthiest athletes in the world.
In December 2002, Shaq tied the knot with Shaunie Nelson. Shareef, Amirah, Shaqir, and Me'arah are their four children. Shaq has a daughter named Taahirah with a woman named Arnetta Yardbourgh.
In September 2007, O'Neal asked Shaunie to end their marriage. They changed their minds and called off the divorce, but Shaunie filed a notice of intent to divorce in November 2009.
Here are some of Shaq's best moments:
- NBA Champion (2000, 2001, 2002, 2006)
- NBA finals MVP (2000, 2001, 2002)
- 15 Time NBA All-Star
- NBA All-Rookie First Team (1993)
- Olympic Gold Medalist (1996)
Facts About Shaquille O'Neal
- Shaquille's work life began when he was in college. He did play basketball before that, though. He went to LSU (Louisiana State University) and was picked by the Orlando Magic in the NBA draught in 1992.
- Shaquille O'Neal left school to become a professional athlete, but he did finish his degree and is now an LSU graduate.
- O'Neal won the Rookie of the Year award two years in a row while he was with the Orlando Magic (1992 and 1993).
- He joined the Los Angeles Lakers in 1996 and stayed with them until 2004. As a player for the LA Lakers, he led the team to three straight championships in 2000, 2001, and 2002.
- After he left the Lakers because he and another NBA star, Kobe Bryant, didn't get along, he went on to play for the Miami Heat, the Phoenix Suns, the Cleveland Cavaliers, and the Boston Celtics.
- In 2011, Shaquille O'Neal said goodbye to the NBA.
- Shaquille O'Neal was a big name in the NBA, but he also tried his hand at music, acting, and other things. He put out four rap albums and a few singles (he played in a few feature films, including Kazaam and Steel). He also did his voice in the Lego Movie in 2014.
Shaquille O'Neal's name has become one of the best known in sports. He has broken and set a lot of sports records and standards. His jokes, TV, music, and movie careers add to his net worth, which keeps increasing as he does. Shaquille O'Neal is worth $400 million as of October 2022.