You are at the right place. Here you will find information about Marilyn Monroe Net Worth, Facts, About Marilyn Monroe's Shocking Fortune, the Early Life Of Marilyn Monroe, The Depressing Reality About Marilyn Monroe's Fame, Who Owns the Estate of Marilyn Monroe?
A Bit About Marilyn Monroe: American actress, singer, and model Marilyn Monroe: rose to prominence in the 1950s and the early 1960s as one of the most well-known sex icons and a symbol of the sexual revolution thanks to her humorous “blonde bombshell” roles.
Quick Facts About Marilyn Monroe
|Born:||June 1, 1926, Los Angeles, CA|
|Died:||August 4, 1962, Brentwood, Los Angeles, CA|
|Parents:||Gladys Pearl Baker|
Arthur Miller (m. 1956–1961), Joe DiMaggio (m. 1954–1955), James Dougherty (m. 1942–1946)
|Education:||University of California, Los Angeles|
About Marilyn Monroe's Shocking Fortune
At the time of her passing in 1962, American actress, model, and singer Marilyn Monroe had a net worth of $800,000. After accounting for inflation is equivalent to about $7 million in today's money.
- Throughout her career, Marilyn made less than $3 million in film salaries, equivalent to around $24 million before taxes after accounting for inflation.
- She wasn't very frugal with her money, lavishing it on friends, family, and employees while also treating herself to expensive jewelry, clothing, and other stuff.
- In addition to “How to Marry a Millionaire,” “There's No Business Like Show Business,” “The Seven Year Itch,” “Bus Stop,” “The Prince and the Showgirl,” and “Some Like It Hot,” Monroe was a blonde bombshell with over 30 acting credits to her name (1959).
- In the middle of the 1950s, Marilyn and photographer Milton Greene founded their own production company, Marilyn Monroe Productions, and she worked as an executive producer on the film “The Prince and the Showgirl.”
- Monroe was listed as one of the “100 Most Significant Americans of All Time” by the Smithsonian Institution. He was ranked #6 on the American Film Institute's “50 Greatest Female American Screen Legends.”
- Sadly, Marilyn's life was tragically cut short in August 1962 when she died of a barbiturate overdose at 36.
Although it was determined that her death was likely a suicide, many people think that she was killed owing to the unusual circumstances surrounding her tragic demise.
Early Life Of Marilyn Monroe
Norma Jeane Mortenson gave birth to Marilyn Monroe on June 1, 1926, in Los Angeles, California.
- Gladys Pearl Baker, Marilyn's mother, had two children before divorcing her violent husband (who later abducted the kids). Marilyn didn't learn she had a half-sister until she was 12 years old, and her half-brother passed away in 1933.
- Even though Gladys listed Mortensen as the father of Monroe on her birth certificate, it is thought that he was not her biological father. Gladys and Martin Edward Mortensen wed in 1924, but they eventually divorced.
- Gladys had mental health and money issues, and Marilyn was made a ward of the state after her mother experienced a mental breakdown.
- Monroe was in foster homes and experienced sexual assault in the years that followed. As a result, she withdrew and started to stutter.
- Grace Goddard, a close friend of her mother's, later took over as Monroe's legal guardian in 1936 after she had spent time living at the Los Angeles Orphans Home. However, after Goddard's husband, Doc molested Marilyn, she moved in with several different relatives (as well as Goddard's family and friends).
- She moved in with Grace's aunt Ana Lower and started attending Emerson Junior High School in 1938. While there, she started writing for the school newspaper.
- When Doc's firm transferred him to another state in 1941, Monroe returned to the Goddard residence and enrolled at Van Nuys High School. Still, Marilyn could not accompany the family owing to California child protection rules.
To avoid returning to the orphanage, Monroe married their next-door neighbor's son, left school, and relocated to Santa Catalina Island in 1943.
The Depressing Reality About Marilyn Monroe's Fame
Marilyn Monroe was a Hollywood legend who unfortunately passed away in 1962, leaving behind a staggering net worth of about $10 million According to Celebrity Net Worth.
- Monroe, who passed away at age 36, made over $192 million from her 23 films and modeling work throughout her career.
- Additionally, the celebrity earned money after she passed away since her legacy became a significant influence in pop culture.
- Monroe's abrupt death left her with $800,000, or around $10 million in today's currency.
- Her estate was only worth $370,000 (or about $3.5 million) once her estate was settled.
- Monroe sent her acting teacher Lee Strasberg the majority of her estate when she passed away.
- In addition to receiving 75% of the estate, Strasberg and his wife Paula also received Monroe's belongings and clothing.
- In his book Goddess: The Secret Lives of Marilyn Monroe, Anthony Summers stated that “they took Marilyn under their wings.” They provided her with simple solitude and company.
- In addition, Monroe left sizeable bequests to her mother, half-sister, and close friends.
- Her sister Bernice Miracle received about $12,000 from her estate, and she donated Bernice's daughter $6,200 for her education.
- To care for her mother Gladys and provide $6,200 to each of her friends, Monroe kindly set aside an additional $120,000.
Monroe also bequeathed 25% of her intellectual property rights to her therapist, Dr. Marianne Kris, and gifts to her family and friends.
Who Owns the Estate of Marilyn Monroe?
Marilyn Monroe's likeness is on t-shirts, posters, coffee cups, and more. She died in 1962 with $800,000, about $7 million today, and no relatives.
View this post on Instagram
- Monroe offered money to family, employees, and strangers. Her estate was resolved for $370,000.
- (Probate reduced her estate by 54%!) Marilyn's will gave her longtime assistant and half-sister $10,000 apiece.
- She set aside $5,000 for her assistant's child's schooling and gave her mother $100,000. Her estate money disappeared.
- According to a recent Celebrity Net Worth story, Marilyn Monroe's physical property was bequeathed to her acting mentor Lee Strasberg.
- Monroe's legacy granted Strasberg 75% of her IP. Dr. Marianne Kris received 25%.
- Dr. Kris died in 1980, and her Monroe estate share went to the Anna Freud Centre in London. Where is Strasberg's 75%?
- Paula Strasberg died in 1966, just after Marilyn Monroe. Lee remarried Venezuelan actress Anna Mizrahi in 1967.
- The actress owned 75% of Monroe's inheritance when Lee died in 1982.
- After taking over Lee's 75% of Monroe's inheritance, she made deals to use his name, signature, and likeness on thousands of items and promotions.
- Anna made Marilyn one of the world's highest-paid deceased celebrities, generating millions.
- Anna eventually joined CMG. A lawsuit years later revealed that CMG assured Anna $1 million a year.
- Anna gained $7.5 million in licensing earnings between 1996 and 2000 when she founded Marilyn Monroe, LLC.
- Anna sold her 75% ownership in the Monroe estate for $20-30 million in January 2011.
Celebrities' wealth (April 2, 2021) “How a Venezuelan Actress Owned Marilyn Monroe's Estate.”