The hit ABC sitcom “Black-ish,” created by Kenya Barris, has spawned several spin-offs, including the Freeform series “Grown-ish.” since its premiere in 2014. As a “backdoor pilot” for the official “Black-ish” series, “Liberal Arts” aired on “Black-ish” on Freeform in 2017.
The Hollywood Reporter previously spoke to Barris about how strongly he felt about the issue “Adult-like”: “Because it's my baby and it's new, I'm extremely protective of it.”
There is a good chance that the show will be renewed for a fifth season, given how well it has performed thus far. And the network has given me a lot of confidence that we can pull this off.
In this show, I want people to be able to see what we see. It's important to me that it succeeds. To me, it's essential.”
Fans of the “Black-ish” and “Mixed-ish” franchises may be wondering if Season 5 of “Grown-ish” will be aired in 2021, following the cancellation of the spin-off earlier this year. Season 5 of “Grown-ish” has a release date, cast, and storyline that have all been revealed thus far.
What's the Release Date for Grown-ish Season 5?
According to the reviegreek, Grown-ish, The second episode of Season 5 will be televised live on July 27 at 10:00 p.m. ET. Starting on Friday, Hulu will make it accessible for streaming anytime. It is anticipated that Episode 2 will last about 23 minutes.
“Grown-ish” has been renewed for a fifth season by Freeform, but the network has yet to confirm it officially.
- In light of the network's recent cancellations of other youth-oriented shows, such as “Everything's Gonna Be Okay” (via Deadline), it's possible that the network will decide not to renew “Grown-ish” or that the show will be renewed.
- Because the second half of Season 4 hasn't even aired yet, it will be long before Season 5 returns to Freeform screens if the show is renewed.
- It takes approximately one year for a show like “Grown-ish” to go through pre-production and rehearsals, film all of the episodes, and complete post-production, after which the show is promoted, and new episodes are released.
- Season 4 of “Grown-ish” premiered in July 2021, and the second half of Season 4 is expected to air sometime in early 2022, indicating that Season 5 will most likely premiere in the fall of 2022 or later.
- Season 5 may have to change the release date of its episodes depending on the outcome of COVID-19.
- Because of the pandemic, Freeform was forced to release the final half of Season 3 episodes in early 2021 rather than 2020 as initially planned (according to TVLine), and COVID-19 could have a similar impact on production, resulting in similar changes in release dates.
Also read: Have You Watched The Bold Type Season 5?
Who's in the Cast?
Even though some characters have recently graduated from Cal U, the fictional college they all attend, it appears likely that the current cast of “Grown-ish” Season 4 will return for another season of the show.
- Series star Yara Shahidi, who plays Zoey Johnson and serves as the series' narrator, is expected to return, as would actors Trevor Jackson as Aaron Jackson, Francia Raisa as Ana Torres, Emily Arlook as Nomi Segal, Jordan Buhat as Vivek Shah, Chloe Bailey as Jazz Forster, Luka Sabbat as Luca Hall, and Diggy Simmons as Doug Edwards.
- The character of Sky Forster, who was previously a main character in the series, does not appear to be returning, except perhaps as a recurring character, as actress Halle Bailey left “Grown-ish” before the fourth season began (via Yahoo).
Since Season 4 has only aired the first half of its episodes thus far, more actors may depart the show by the end, while new characters may be introduced if the show is renewed.
After “Grown-ish” Season 4 comes to a close and the writing for Season 5 can begin, we'll know a lot more.
What's the Plot of Grown-ish Season 5?
“Grown-ish” follows Zoey, featured in “Black-ish,” after she leaves home to attend college at the California University of Pennsylvania and successfully begins her adult life away from her family.
- While at Cal U, Zoey forms a core group of friends that includes Ana and Nomi and dates other students such as Aaron.
- A cliffhanger concludes the first half of Season 4, with Zoey and Aaron seemingly on the verge of breaking up. Aaron punches Zoey's ex-boyfriend Luca in the face at a party after learning that he has offered her a job and then storms out.
- To locate Aaron, Zoey travels to his residence, where she discovers that he has successfully obtained an internship completion certificate for her, which means that she no longer requires the job from Luca.
Meanwhile, Ana continues to have sexual relations with Vivek, and Kiela (Daniella Perkins) and Doug continue to have difficulties in their relationship.
Season 4B and Season 5 appear to be primarily focused on Zoey's attempts to graduate college alongside her friends while also attempting to figure out what is going on with Aaron. Still, the story will become more apparent when Season 4B and Season 5 air, expected to air in 2020 or 2022, respectively.
That's all we know about Grown-ish Season 5. Stay tuned for more updates, and thank you for reading!