Ernie Barnes Net Worth: Ernest Eugene Barnes Jr. was a well-known American artist recognized for his distinctive style of stretched characters and movement.
He also worked as a professional football player, an actor, and a writer.
- Born: July 15, 1938, Durham, NC
- Died: April 27, 2009, Los Angeles, CA
- Spouse: Bernadine Gradney (m. 1984–2009), Janet Thaleen Norton (m. 1965–1983), Andrea Burnett (m. 1957–1965)
- Children: Erin Barnes, Paige Barnes, Sean Barnes, Deidre Barnes, Michael Barnes
- Parents: Fannie Mae Geer, Ernest E. Barnes, Sr.
- Siblings: Benjamin B. Rogers, Jr., James Barnes
- Education: North Carolina Central University, Hillside High School
How Much Is the Original Sugar Shack Painting Worth?
$15.2 million in total
Ernie Barnes; a former professional football player; painted “The Sugar Shack” in 1976.
Christie's auction house sold it for $15.2 million on May 12, above the high estimate by 76 percent.
What Was Ernie's Most Well-known Work?
The Sugar Shack is a restaurant in New York City.
“The Sugar Shack,” an exultant dancing scene that appeared on the cover of Marvin Gaye's album “I Want You” and during the closing credits of the TV sitcom “Good Times,” sold for a stunning $15.3 million to an energy trader at Christie's 20th Century auction on Thursday evening.
information about Ernest Eugene Barnes Jr. Date of birth: July 15, 1938, Durham, North Carolina, USA Date of death: April 27, 2009, in Los Angeles, California, USA Durham, North Carolina, USA is where he was born. 6'3″ tall (1.91 m) Department of Art, Proficiency in Art, Proficiency in Art, Proficiency Actor Janet Thaleen Norton (m. 1965–1983), Andrea Burnett (m. 1957–1965), Bernadine Gradney Bern Deidre Barnes, Michael Barnes, Erin Barnes, Paige Barnes, and Sean Barnes are the children. Ernest E. Barnes, Sr., and Fannie Mae Geer are her parents.
Ernest Eugene Barnes Jr. was born on July 15, 1938, in Durham, North Carolina, United States.
Good Times (1974), Don't Look Back: The Story of Leroy Satchel Paige (1981), and Number One are among his credits (1969).
Bernadine Gradney, Janet Thaleen Norton, and Andrea Burnett were his wives. On April 27, 2009, he passed away in Los Angeles, California.
Date of birth: July 15, 1938, Durham, North Carolina, USA
Date of death: April 27, 2009, in Los Angeles, California, USA
Durham, North Carolina, USA is where he was born.
6'3″ tall (1.91 m)
Department of Art, if you're curious about what I do for a living. Actor
Bernadine Gradney (m. 1984P 2009), Janet Thaleen Norton (m. 1965 1983), and Andrea Burnett (m. 1957 1965) are all married to each other.
Deidre Barnes, Michael Barnes, Erin Barnes, Paige Barnes, and Sean Barnes are the children.
Ernest E. Barnes, Sr., and Fannie Mae Geer are her parents.
Why Did Ernie Barnes Paint Sugar Shack?
Barnes said he drew on childhood experiences to create the canvas for Sugar Shack, which depicted a packed dance hall with Black men and women swaying to the sounds of an R&B band.
“I Either Wanted It or I Wanted That Guy to Pay”: Inside the Sugar Shack's Wild West Auction
Even the most high-profile auctions like Christie's and Sotheby's have a dirty secret: even if something sells for millions of dollars, the proceedings are usually rather straightforward.
- Extensive fireworks or something truly stunning is uncommon. Auctions are, to be honest, a bit tedious.
- However, one lot at Christie's last week was anything but.
- Bill Perkins, a Houston-based professional poker player turned energy trader, stewed in a seat at the back of the room for the majority of Thursday evening.
- It was his first time attending an auction. Midway through the auction, he tweeted, “I've never felt poorer in my life, and I've been busted.”
- Adrien Meyer began bidding on Ernie Barnes' The Sugar Shack at about 8:30 p.m., a Black artist born in the 1930s in segregated Durham, North Carolina, who became a professional football player before turning to paint.
- Before dying away in 2009, Barnes' works showing dancers, basketball players, and jocks on the gridiron attracted a wide readership across the country. He'd never been to an evening sale before.
- The auctioneer had 22 ready-to-spend bidders who were phoning into their Christie's reps through a platoon of Christie's specialists.
- Meyer shattered the activity, and the high estimate had nearly doubled after a rush of phone bidding.
- Perkins made his initial bid, for $500,000, in a matter of seconds, shouting it out over the rest of the room.
A bespectacled Los Angeles–based art adviser named Dane Jensen gently lifted a paddle to signal that he, too, would be bidding, on behalf of a client whispering into his cell phone.
- Charlie Hunnam Net Worth 2022: What Does Charlie Do Now?
- Richard Wald Net Worth 2022: What Is Cause of Death?
- Jessie James Decker Net Worth: Career | Is She Still Married?
Ernie Barnes Net Worth
- Per Year: $ 4,00,000
- Month: $ 32,000
- Per Year: $ 4,00,000
- Week: $ 8,000
|$ 1140||19 Dollar||$ 0.3||0.05 Dollar|