Please make no mistake; Cruel Summer is cruel to most of its characters. However, the same cannot be said of Freeform, which announced season two even before the season one finale aired, indicating that the network is committed to the show.
The network’s president, Tara Duncan, told TVLine that the renewal was an “easy choice,” which makes sense considering Cruel Summer has been the network’s most-watched series ever.
There will be some adjustments, and they will not be limited to the fact that Cruel Summer creator Bert V Royal has formally stepped down from his position as showrunner.
Right now, there’s a lot of uncertainty around season two and the possible path this show may go in the future, so tell your mother to put the phone down and turn on the computer because we’re about to tune into everything you need to know about Cruel Summer season two.
When Will Cruel Summer Season 2 Air?
According to Deadline, cruel Summer executive producer Jessica Biel (yes, Jessica Biel) has announced that the show will return with fresh episodes in 2022.
As of now, there is no official release date for season two. However, we wouldn’t be shocked if it followed a similar timeline as the first chapter, implying we may be returning to Skylin as early as April 2022.
Cruel Summer Season 2 Cast: Who’s in It?
If season two does wind up continuing with the same plot, we may anticipate the majority of the core cast to remain, which includes the following characters:
• Olivia Holt as Kate Wallis
• Chiara Aurelia as Jeanette Turner
• Froy Gutierrez as Jamie Henson
• Harley Quinn Smith as Mallory Higgins
• Brooklyn Sudano as Angela Prescott
• Allius Barnes as Vince Fuller
• Nathaniel Ashton as Ben Hallowell
• Michael Landes as Greg Turner
Blake Lee is the only cast member with a question mark hanging over them because Martin Harris died in the very first episode, only to return in flashbacks.
Given the nature of Kate’s abuse, her abuser may reappear in other flashbacks or possibly in her memory throughout season two.
Of course, if the powers decide to go with a different plot, all of this will be rendered irrelevant.
- Made in Heaven Season 2 Release Date | Every New Detail Inside It?
- Special OPS Season 2: Release Date, Cast, Plot & Updates!
- Messiah Season 2 Release Date Cancelled For Netflix | Every Detail You Need!
What Will happen in the Second Season of Cruel Summer?
Assuming that season two takes up where the season finale left off, the implications of that twist will undoubtedly be felt in the coming episodes and seasons. Is Jeanette suffering from a mental illness?
- Will she ever be able to shake off the remorse of abandoning Kate to languish in that basement?
- And, more importantly, will Kate ever find out? These are just a few of the many topics that may be addressed in season two, not to mention the future of Kate’s relationship with Mallory.
- According to writer Tia Napolitano, who spoke to Decider about the startling climax, “we were already filming when we came up with that last bombshell, which I believe elevates it to a whole new level.”
- When discussing Jeanette’s deceit, Napolitano provided the following explanation: “What’s noteworthy is that Jeanette is technically incapable of lying. ‘I didn’t see Kate Wallis,’ she replies emphatically.
- “She didn’t seem to notice her. She was aware of her presence. I believe that’s a great sentence amid the bizarreness that is Jeanette’s character.
- She’s undoubtedly certain she’s on the truthful side of the story because she never lays eyes on Kate Wallis in the cellar.” “It took a long time for us to find out about it,” she said further.
- She described how the plot developed naturally: “We knew from the outset, from the time I joined the project, that there would be some misunderstanding between Kate and Jeanette about what was going on in that house, so we planned the season around that. We had a lot of fun figuring out what it was.
- “It’s a good thing that I’m not a jerk.” “We kept improving it, and it became better and better. And then we added the Mallory twist to finish it off.
- We were already in the middle of shooting — we could have been in the middle of Episode 4 — when we came up with the ultimate twist, which I believe elevates the show to a new level.”
- According to Napolitano, the cast and crew were surprised by the dramatic conclusion.
- Several cast members joined us to see Episode 10, and Michelle Purple from Iron Ocean (Productions) shared her reaction to the footage of the form witnessing the last scene.
- The likes of Sarah Drew were utterly unaware of what was about to take place.” Because I was aware of what would happen, they aimed at me; if you see me in the video, I’m practically weeping because I’m overwhelmed by the kind feedback.”
However, it is unclear whether or not the second season will dive farther into this deception and betrayal.
Deadline’s first report on the renewal claimed that season two might “include a fresh tale with the same actors or, in anthology fashion, employ the device of two points of view using several timelines with a new ensemble” and that season three would be the last season of the show.
So, instead of Chiara Aurelia and Olivia Holt on the stage, someone else may take the lead. Alternatively, we could travel back to an entirely new era – though we would undoubtedly miss the show’s cheesy 90s aesthetic.
The same individuals might introduce an entirely other mystery in the next episode. Perhaps we will learn that Kate was not the only victim of Martin Harris, igniting a chain reaction of anguish and suffering that could potentially consume the entire town of Skyline.
Season 2 Trailer for Cruel Summer: When Will It Be Available to Watch?
Cruel Summer viewers will have to wait just as long as Kate did to get her dial-up connection to operate, and they will have to wait even longer for the fresh video to arrive. We don’t expect to see a season two teaser until early 2022 at the earliest, and that’s if we’re being optimistic about it.