As a result of the success of Cotton Reboot!, ININ Games has announced a brand new “cute 'em up” game called Cotton Fantasy for the Nintendo Switch and PlayStation 4, which will be released both physically and digitally sometime in the first quarter of 2022.
What Is Cotton Fantasy?
Cotton Fantasy, also known as Cotton Rock ‘n' Roll in Japan, was released for the PlayStation 4 and Nintendo Switch in December 2021.
Meanwhile, the PC and arcade versions of the game will be released between Winter 2021 and 2022, with the console versions to follow shortly after. It's now time for Western console users to get their hands on this game!
This shoot 'em up game is based on the traditional universe of Cotton and Silk, which can be found in the Cotton game series as well as other Cotton games.
But that's not all there is to it! The time system of Sanvein and the BUZZ system of Psyvariar are two of the other Success games that Cotton and Silk investigate.
The following is the official game description provided by ININ Games:
“Cotton Fantasy is a brand-new entry in the Cotton series that sees Cotton and Silk embark on another adventure, this time in HD graphics and with modernised gameplay, but true to its roots!
Experience the most precise gameplay in the Cotton series, mixing up the iconic Cotton playstyle with a few new shoot ‘em up mechanics, 6 iconic playable characters and 16 colourful and varied stages to unlock, with vertical, horizontal and 3D movement. Each character has their own mechanics and attacks, creating a lot of variation and replayability on your hunt for the high score.
Packaged with a light-hearted story full of charming, fun cutscenes, fully-voiced in Japanese, and an exhilarating soundtrack with iconic remastered tracks from the past, this is a great and accessible new shoot ’em up game for fans of the Cotton series and newcomers alike.”
Cotton Fantasy Collector's Edition
In addition to the usual physical release, Strictly Limited Games is also providing a limited Cotton Fantasy Collector's Edition for both the Nintendo Switch and the PlayStation 4 for $124.99 / €109.99, which is currently available for presale. (There's also a set of 30th-anniversary cups available.) You may see an example of what's contained in the collection by clicking on the image below.
And now, here are some of the numerous features you can look forward to in Cotton Fantasy when it launches on Switch and PS4 later this year, as well as the game's announcement trailer:
- High-definition graphics and all-new shoot 'em up gameplay mechanics
- There are six iconic, playable characters to choose from, each with their own mechanics and attacks, and even guest characters such as Umihara Kawase (from the similarly named series) and Luffee from Doki Doki Poyacchio appear in this game.
- It is very simple to go to Shoot 'em up gameplay that is easy to learn but has enough depth to satisfy even experienced players.
- The game has 16 different stages to unlock, each with a different color scheme and movement (vertical, horizontal, and 3D).
- The story is light-hearted, and the cutscenes are amusing and charming, and they are entirely voiced in Japanese (English, French, Italian, German, Spanish subtitles included)
- The game's exhilarating soundtrack includes remastered versions of classic tracks from previous games.
- High replayability is provided by unlockable content and a diverse cast of characters.
- With the featured rating boards, you can strive for the highest possible score in your country and throughout the world.
Cotton Fantasy's graphics aren't exactly cutting-edge, but you don't play a shmup for the sake of the aesthetics.
Please let us know if you intend to pre-order Cotton Fantasy on Switch in either the normal or limited collector's edition.