Billy Crystal Net Worth: William Edward Crystal is an actor, comedian, writer, producer, and film director from the United States.
In the 1970s and 1980s, he was known for his appearances as Jodie Dallas on the ABC sitcom Soap and as a cast member and frequent host of Saturday Night Live.
Billy Crystal Early Life
William Edwards Crystal was born on the Upper East Side of Manhattan on March 14, 1948.
- His family moved to Long Island when he was a toddler, even though he was born in the Bronx.
- In a Jewish family, he grew up with two brothers, and his father was a jazz producer who lost his business in 1963 and died of a heart attack shortly after.
- Billy went to Marshall University in West Virginia on a baseball scholarship after graduating from high school in Long Beach.
- However, when he arrived, he discovered that the baseball season had been halted.
- After his second year, he chose to leave college and return to New York City.
- He met his future wife, Janice, and studied acting at the HB Studio while there.
- He attended Nassau Community College before moving to New York University while attending acting lessons.
- Crystal earned a BFA from the School of Fine Arts in 1970 after studying cinema and television directing at NYU (which would later be renamed the Tisch School of Fine Arts).
Crystal studied under Martin Scorsese and with Oliver Stone and Christopher Guest during this time.
Billy Crystal Career
Billy Crystal started as a New York City comedian. Soon; he became well-known in city comedy clubs and appeared on “SNL” and “The Tonight Show With Jay Leno.”
- He appeared on TV game shows during this time.
- The first significant role was as openly homosexual Jodie Dallas on “Soap.”
- He continued to appear until 1981. During this time, he starred in “Rabbit Test,” a film about a pregnant man.
- His early 1980s variety program was discontinued.
- He became known as a TV host on “SNL.”
- In 1986, he starred in “Running Scared.”
- “The Princess Bride” (1987) also featured him. It helped launch Billy Crystal's career.
- Crystal's stardom grew after she starred in “When Harry Met Sally” The film has become a cult favorite because of his Golden Globe nomination.
- “City Slickers” is Billy's next film.
- Again, the picture garnered him a Golden Globe nomination.
- With a foothold in film, Crystal might pursue more interesting ideas.
- In the 1990s, he wrote, directed, and starred in two movies.
- These were “Mr. Saturday Night,” a serious film, and “Forget Paris,” a romantic comedy.
- At the end of the 90s, he appeared in “Deconstructing Harry” and “Analyze This” with Robert De Niro.
- In the 2000s, Crystal was in “America's Sweethearts,” “Analyze That,” and “61.”
- After rejecting the role of Buzz Lightyear in 1995's “Toy Story,” Crystal gladly accepted Mike Wazowski in 2001's “Monsters, Inc.”
- He continued voice acting with “Howl's Moving Castle” in 2004.
In 2013, he played Mike in “Monsters University.” He landed a main role in FX's “The Comedians” in 2015, however, the show was canceled after one season.
A Look Back at the Best of the Tony Awards in 2022: Billy Crystal and Samuel L. Jackson Sing Yiddish Together; and Jennifer Hudson Egrets!
As always, Broadway's biggest night was filled with touching tributes, emotional speeches, and lots of love.
- When COVID-19 forced last year's Tony Awards to be trimmed back, Ariana DeBose (“West Side Story”) welcomed them back to Radio City Music Hall on Sunday with a jubilant celebration.
- ‘Company' and ‘The Lehman Trilogy' both won five Tony Awards, putting them at the top of the list.
- “A Strange Loop,” about a young Black gay playwright, won Pulitzer Prize for best musical and best book for Michael R. Jackson.
- The show's best musical award gave Jennifer Hudson EGOT status, as she has now won an Emmy, Grammy, Oscar, and Tony for her work as a producer on “Loop.”
- Children Will Listen” from Sondheim's musical “Into the Woods” brought tears to Bernadette Peters' eyes during her poignant tribute performance.
Spring Awakening's original Broadway cast nearly stole the evening with their impassioned rendition of “Touch Me” from the provocative blockbuster musical.
Billy Crystal's Net Worth
Billy Crystal has a net worth of $60 million as an actor, writer, producer, comedian, and film director in the United States.
Although Crystal first made his mark in the entertainment industry with television performances in the 1970s, it was in the late 1980s and 1990s that he truly established himself as a household figure, thanks to a spate of well-received film parts.
Aside from starring in films, Crystal is a well-known voice actor with a long list of credits.
He has received numerous awards over his career, including a plaque on the Hollywood Walk of Fame in 1991.
Were Robin Williams and Billy Crystal Friends?
Williams and Crystal's friendship was cemented by Comic Relief, despite the fact that they had first met on the stand-up comedy circuit in the late 1970s.
As a result, we formed an incredible friendship and became extremely protective of one another. Crystal reminisced to Goldberg about the time, saying, “In fantastic ways.”