Gustav Nyquist Outlook
Gustav Nyquist has spent his whole career with the Detroit Red Wings, and he his now in training camp for a 7th year. Nyquist, ever since 2013-2014 has put up solid number for the Wings, and has been a contributor every year. Listed at 5’11”, he is a smaller forward in the NHL, but still finds way to have 40 and 50 point seasons. What will this year bring?
2016-2017 Year in Review
During the 2016-2017 season, Nyquist almost played in all 82 regular season games for a 3rd straight season. Plus, he was able to finish 6 points away from tying his career high of 54 points set back in 2014-2015. Nyquist was able to dish out 36 assists and 12 goals in 76 games, but one stat has been on the decline for a while.
That stat is power play points. Now, most of this is not his fault entirely, for the power play units have not been able to click over the last two years. Nyquist only registered 9 PPP last year, which was a drop from 12 in 2015-2016; and 24 the year before that. So, what has to change for this mark to get back up into the teens?
2017-2018 Season Preview
Now this is one of the only players I have listed declining in the upcoming season. This is only because he has performed so well for so long. Hockey is a grueling sport, especially for Nyquist who has only missed six regular season games over the last three years. Also, the youth on the team; will step up to take some of the work load off Nyquist.
Nyquist will still play a large amount of contests this year, probably going north of 70 games again. However, the most he will score is around 30-35 points. More assists than goals to be more specific. The Wings still need Nyquist to do his part, I just don’t see it being as large anymore.
Expect the goose to be his same old self.
Featured Image Credit – Steffen Peters/SportsRants
- Detroit Red Wings: Week 4 Recap - November 20, 2017
- Detroit Red Wings: Week 3 Recap - November 6, 2017
- Detroit Red Wings: 5 Takeaways from Week 2 - October 26, 2017
- Detroit Red Wings: Week 1 Recap - October 16, 2017
- Detroit Red Wings: 5 Takeaways from Week 1 - October 16, 2017
- Detroit Red Wings: Preseason Update - October 4, 2017
- Detroit Red Wings Player Outlook: Gus Nyquist - October 4, 2017
- Detroit Red Wings Player Outlook: Jimmy Howard - September 25, 2017
- Detroit Red Wings Player Outlook: Anthony Mantha - September 22, 2017
- Detroit Red Wings Player Outlook: Frans Nielsen - September 11, 2017