Player Outlook: Jimmy Howard
Jimmy Howard has been a wall in the net his whole career for the Wings. When he took over the starting role in 2010-2011, he has never looked back.
Although, with age and a life of playing goaltender; wears the body down. For the last two years, Howard has battled through injury plagued seasons. It had seemed every time he was set to return, another injury sprung up.
This has led to inconsistency within the position itself. It seems to be a three man carousel for the spot; including Coreau, Mrazek, and Howard.
Is this the year Howard bounces back and leads the Wings to the playoffs? Only time will tell.
2016-2017 Year in Review
There is not really much to see here. 26 games is all that Howard appeared in, the lowest amount in his career with the Wings. He was on pace to have one of his best seasons of his career. Finishing up with a 2.10 GAA and a .927 save percentage. Which is elite for goaltenders in this day and age.
The one stat that stood out the most about Howard though, was one that had cost him a couple extra wins last year. The amount of goal support his team gave him in his starts was last in the league.
At one point it ran under a goal a game. How do you expect a goalie to win games when you can’t score a goal a night?
2017-2018 Season Preview
The Red Wings have already come out this year, mentioning they want Howard to start 50-55 games in net for them this year. Plus, 50 games is a work load for a goalie who had been rehabbing injuries all year.
Best case scenario is Howard winning the Wings 35 games and pitching 3 or 4 shutouts.
We won’t discuss the worse case scenario, since it has already seemed to pass through hockeytown. We all know the Wings have one goal, take it day-by-day; and get back to the Stanley Cup Playoffs.
With a healthy Howard and a young lineup, this Wings could show the fans of Detroit; this isn’t a rebuild.
Featured Image Credit – NHL.com
- Detroit Red Wings: Week 4 Recap - November 20, 2017
- Detroit Red Wings: Week 3 Recap - November 6, 2017
- Detroit Red Wings: 5 Takeaways from Week 2 - October 26, 2017
- Detroit Red Wings: Week 1 Recap - October 16, 2017
- Detroit Red Wings: 5 Takeaways from Week 1 - October 16, 2017
- Detroit Red Wings: Preseason Update - October 4, 2017
- Detroit Red Wings Player Outlook: Gus Nyquist - October 4, 2017
- Detroit Red Wings Player Outlook: Jimmy Howard - September 25, 2017
- Detroit Red Wings Player Outlook: Anthony Mantha - September 22, 2017
- Detroit Red Wings Player Outlook: Frans Nielsen - September 11, 2017