Anthony Mantha Outlook
A monster among men is what the Wings are looking for Anthony Mantha to be as he skates into his second full season with the team. Mantha played 10 games in the 2015-2016 season, but started to turn heads the following year.
With this 23 year old, he brings a whole serving of 220 lbs and an upside stretching out to approximately 6’7” on skates.
You rarely are able to find a young player with the upside and caliber like Mantha has, so this young star could prove crucial to the Wings success this year.
2016-2017 Year in Review
Like mentioned before, Mantha turned heads this past season for numerous reasons. He showed sparkling hands, speed through the neutral zone, and even bone crushing checks. He is considered to be a “Power Forward” and shows glimpses of Johan Franzen at times.
Mantha in 60 games last year was able to rack up 36 points, and cash in 3 game-winning goals. However, Mantha did finish 3rd on the team in penalty minutes, which coach Jeff Blashill wants to be reduced significantly.
2017-2018 Season Preview
Mantha is a gem of a find in the NHL. Not many big men have the shot and ability to score that Mantha does. For the Wings to have a successful year, the power play needs to be brought back to life.
By putting Mantha either at the point on a PP or even stashing him down in front of the cage, that could cause the amount of goals scored on the PP to go up dramatically.
This year, Mantha might have to become more of a shooter than a passer for the Wings. Too many times last year, players such as Nyquist and Abdelkader passed on shooting for a pass that didn’t connect.
Mantha will notch a 25-goal year with the Wings and north of the 40 point mark. As long as his teammates can find him in open ice, Mantha has the ability to finish from anywhere.
Featured Image Credit – Alex DiFilippo/NHL
- Red Wings at the Deadline: Buy or Sell? - February 18, 2018
- Detroit Red Wings: Draft Prospects 2 - February 13, 2018
- 2018 NHL Entry Draft Prospects: Detroit Red Wings - January 30, 2018
- Red Wings Special Teams: Powerless Power Play? - January 24, 2018
- Who Should be the Next Captain of the Detroit Red Wings? - January 5, 2018
- Detroit Red Wings: 5 Things to Fix Before All-Star Break - December 12, 2017
- Detroit Red Wings: Week 4 Recap - November 20, 2017
- Detroit Red Wings: Week 3 Recap - November 6, 2017
- Detroit Red Wings: 5 Takeaways from Week 2 - October 26, 2017
- Detroit Red Wings: Week 1 Recap - October 16, 2017