Have stoner movies sparked a demand for cultivating bulk cannabis seeds? Easy Rider is the first film to have featured recreational marijuana use. Since then, many comedy flicks with pot in their plots have followed suit. Some even offered us unforgettable movie weed quotes.
Whether these motion pictures are great or not is debatable, but what’s memorable are the dialogues from earlier ones. Here are some of the best lines from stoner films. How many can you identify?
Are you a film buff? If yes, which of these excerpts do you recall?
This comedy recounts the last day of escapades of high school and junior high students in May 1976.
Slater, played by Rory Cochrane, says, “Behind every good man there is a woman, and that woman was Martha Washington, man, and everyday George would come home, she would have a big fat bowl waiting for him, man, when he come in the door man, she was a hip, hip, hip lady, man.”
Ice Cube and Chris Tucker play Craig and Smokey, respectively, in this 1995 comedy. It’s Friday, and the two guys must pay a local bully $200, or the latter’s a dead man.
Do you know how much Chris Tucker's net worth is today after going on to make numerous hit movies? Here are two hilarious quotes from his character, Smokey:
- “I know you don’t smoke weed, I know this, but I’m gonna get you high today, ’cause it’s Friday; you ain’t got no job.”
- “Weed is from the earth. God put this here for me and you. Take advantage, man, take advantage.”
Denton Hall, a process server, witnesses a murder and ends up on the run from hitmen and a corrupt police officer. With him is his dealer, Saul Silver.
Seth Rogen and James Franco play Hall and Silver, respectively, with Danny McBride in the role of Red. Do you recall these memorable stoner movie quotes?
- Red: “I’m trying to decide how stoned I am and just how on the verge of death am I right now. Like, am I seeing because I’m stoned or because I have no blood left in my body?”
- Saul, describing a new weed strain, Pineapple Express: “This is like if that Blue Oyster met that Afghan Kush I had, and they had a baby. And then, meanwhile, that crazy Northern Light stuff I had and the Super Red Espresso Snowflake met and had a baby. And by some miracle, those two babies met and … This would be the … that they birthed.”
- Saul: “It’s almost a shame to smoke it. It’s like killing a unicorn… with, like, a bomb.”
- Saul: “This. Is. The future, this is like the apex of the vortex of joint engineering. It’s rumored that M. M. O’Shaughnessy designed the first one – the guy who, uh, designed the Golden Gate Bridge. My second favorite civil engineer behind Hannskarl Bandel: Madison Square Garden… What you do is you light all three ends at the same time.”
Here are more of the best stoner movie quotes from a film about five Vermont state troopers. Always messing up, they must solve a crime involving a drug ring to save their jobs.
The following lines are from Officer Thorny (Jay Chandrasekhar) and College Boy 2 (Joey Kern):
- Officer Thorny: “Littering and smoking the reefer. Now to teach you boys a lesson, me and officer Rabbit are going to stand here while you three smoke the whole bag.”
- College Boy 2: “You must have eaten like 100 bucks worth of pot, and like 30 bucks worth of shrooms man. So I’m gonna need that 130 bucks, you know, whenever you get a chance.”
Seth Rogen is Ben Stone, a party animal who finds his one-night stand at his doorstep, telling him she’s pregnant with his baby. Katherine Heigl plays his girlfriend.
Ben: “It is, like, the best medicine. Because it fixes everything. Jonah broke his elbow once. He just got high, and it still clicks, but I mean, he’s okay.”
Another one of the memorable movie weed quotes is from this 1998 movie. The comedy follows a journalist and his psychopathic attorney on their Las Vegas psychedelic adventures. The line is from Raoul Duke, played by Johnny Depp, who sports a very different look in 2022.
“We had two bags of grass, seventy-five pellets of mescaline, five sheets of high-powered blotter acid, a salt shaker half-full of cocaine, and a whole galaxy of multi-colored uppers, downers, screamers, laughers. Also, a quart of tequila, a quart of rum, a case of beer, a pint of raw ether, and two dozen amyls. Not that we needed all that for the trip, but once you get locked into a serious drug collection, the tendency is to push it as far as you can.”
Cheech Marin and Tommy Chong play two stoners who unknowingly drive a van made out of marijuana from Mexico to LA Here’s a classic line from Marin’s character, Pedro De Pacas:
“Is that a joint man? That there looks like a quarter-pounder.”
This weed quote is from a comedy about a videogame tester who moves in with his grandmother and her two elderly lady roommates.
Dante, played by Peter Dante, says, “I’ll smoke it with ya bro, we’ll go to the loony bin together. I don’t give a f**k.”