Ending on a positive note
The Detroit Lions won their season finale 35-11 over the Green Bay Packers. They finished the season 9-7, the first time they finished with back-to-back winning seasons since 94′-95′.
Although this is all fine and dandy, it is grossly overshadowed by the fact that they missed the playoffs for the second time in 4 years under Jim Caldwell. Even with this impressive win over a division rival, his future is still very much in doubt. He could be out of a job as soon as tomorrow.
This game, although meaningless, was admittedly fun to watch. It’s always fun to see the Lions devour the packers to pieces. It also looks like it might not have negatively affected the Lions’ draft position either, which is great to hear. It really was a win-win.
- Matthew Stafford was great on a day many didn’t want him to play. 20-29, 323 yards and 3 touchdowns. He looked like the quarterback that everyone expects him to be, which is great for any new head coaching candidate. Stafford finished the season with 4,400+ yards, 29 touchdowns, and 10 ints.
- Ezekiel Ansah racked up 3 sacks today, which is nuts. He finishes with 12 on the season.
Now 12.Ziggy’s really working for that contract next year 😂😂 https://t.co/Ykja7OFSki— MSZ Lions (@MSZ_Lions) December 31, 2017
- Darius Slay notched his 8th interception of the year, solidifying his place atop the league in that category. He’s been lights out all season and looks to continue to be for years to come.
- No words…
#Packers recover the onside kick to start the game 🏈#GBvsDET #GoPackGo pic.twitter.com/KNOBJXcSNx— Green Bay Packers (@packers) December 31, 2017
- Whew, that running game is terrible. Wanna know who our leading rusher was? Tion Green, with 21 yards. Yikes. As a team, it only got worse… 2.4/YPC. Yeah, a coaching change might be needed just for that sole reason.
- The offensive line wasn’t absolute garbage, just moderately garbage. Stafford was sacked 2 times but hit/hurried 16. I don’t know exactly what needs to be fixed, but my best guess is a scheme. Calling all coaches!
Matthew Stafford easily could have earned this award, but I feel it must go to Ziggy Ansah. 3 sacks? for the second time in a season? What madness is this?
Stat line: 4 tackles, 3 sacks, 7 hurries.